2005 Press ReleasesJanuary 07, 2005
LOTTERY TO LAUNCH NEW VERSION OF LOTTO GAME JANUARY 27
DOVER, DE -- An exciting new version
of the LOTTO game-MULTI-WIN LOTTO-will be introduced by the
Delaware Lottery on January 27, 2005. The game features a
new style of play that increases players' chances to win.
To make way for the new game, the Delaware Lottery will award loyal LOTTO players the entire existing jackpot for the final drawing on January 26, 2005. In the event there is no jackpot winner matching six out of the 38 possible numbers in the January 26th drawing, the full amount of the advertised jackpot will be distributed to winning ticket holders matching five of the six or four of the six numbers drawn that night.
If there is no lucky jackpot winner in the drawing on Wednesday, January 26th, players winning at the prize level for matching five of the six numbers drawn will equally share 75 percent of the advertised jackpot amount. Players winning at the prize level for matching four of six numbers selected will equally share the remaining 25 percent of the advertised jackpot amount. Prize levels for matching five of six and four of six numbers will not increase if there is a winner of the jackpot drawing that night. The current LOTTO jackpot is at a record level-$6.7 million for the drawing on Friday evening, January 7, 2005.
"This will be an exciting opportunity for our LOTTO players to win large cash prizes," said Brian Peters, deputy director of sales and marketing for the Delaware Lottery. "We anticipate there will be a great deal of excitement surrounding the final current LOTTO game drawing on January 26th."
Peters said Lottery officials have been planning to introduce the new version of LOTTO for about six months, the result of research into what type of games players have said they would find interesting and exciting.
"We are constantly soliciting feedback from Lottery players about the games we offer," said Wayne Lemons, director of the Delaware Lottery. "Our players have told us they prefer more winning experiences with games that are entertaining. The launch of the new MULTI-WIN LOTTO game is in response to the desires of our players and will offer even more chances of winning," Lemons said.
According to Lottery officials, LOTTO has been a popular game in Delaware with 229 jackpot winners of prizes worth more than $110 million. To win the new MULTI-WIN LOTTO game, players match six of 35 numbers-instead of the 38 numbers in the existing LOTTO game-and can win multiple ways on their ticket. Tickets will cost $2 for three plays on a single ticket.
The Delaware Lottery said TV commercials on the new MULTI-WIN LOTTO game would begin airing in late January, about the same time that retailers all over state will start to display posters and flyers promoting the new MULTI-WIN LOTTO game. The Lottery's web site-www.delottery.com- will also provide information on the new game including an informative "how-to-play" module.
Since the start of operations in 1975, the Delaware Lottery has contributed more than
$1.8 billion to the state's General Fund to help finance needed state services that benefit everyone in Delaware. The Lottery offers a variety of games: POWERBALL®, LOTTO, PLAY 3, PLAY 4, and assorted Instant Games.